Citizen of Iceland
Education - Degrees
· 1990: Graduated (High School Diploma) from the College of Egilsstađir (Menntaskólinn á Egilsstöđum), Iceland.
Education - Courses
· 1997: “Sustainability in Plant breeding”. The 23rd Nordic-Baltic Postgraduate Course in Plant Breeding, Jőgeva, Estonia.
· 1996: “Domestication of New Crops”. The 22nd Nordic Postgraduate Course in Plant Breeding, Kyrkhult, Sweden.
· 1993: Nature protection course, held for wardens to be employed by the Icelandic Nature Conservation Council (now Nature Conservation Agency) in national parks and other natural areas. The course was held in Reykjavík, Iceland.
· 2000-2002: Department of Rangeland Ecology and Management, Texas A&M University, USA. Main responsibility included supervision of e-learning environment (WebCT) for two undergraduate ecology courses.
· 1997: University of Iceland, Department of Geology and Geography. Lecturing in the course “Vegetation and Soils”, covering the vegetation part of the course.
Agricultural Research Institute Iceland,
Department of Agronomy.
Research projects included:
· Helgadóttir, Á., B. Orradóttir, H. Björnsson, J. Hermannsson & Ţ.A. Kristjánsdóttir, 2002. Factors affecting the persistence of white clover in a northern marginal environment. In: Proceedings of FAO/CIHEAM Lowland Grasslands Sub-Network Research Conference 1998: Lowland Grasslands of Europe – Utilization and Development, (eds. Fisher, G. & B. Frankow-Lindberg), La Coruna, Spain. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, pp. 197-200.
· Orradóttir, B., Á. Helgadóttir & J. Gudmundsson, 2000. Evaluation of indigenous and exotic perennial legumes for use in land reclamation in Iceland. Icelandic Agricultural Sciences 13:27-41. (In Icelandic)
· Helgadóttir, Á., B. Orradóttir & Ţ.A. Kristjánsdóttir, 1999. Winter survival and production of white clover at its northern limit. In: Proceedings of COST 814-II Workshop: Crop development for cool and wet climate of Europe, Pamplona, Spain, Oct.19-21, 1998 (eds. Sánchez-Diaz, M., J.J. Irigoyen, J. Aguirreolea & K. Pithan), pp. 209-216.
· Helgadóttir, Á & B. Orradóttir, 1998. Overwintering and spring growth of white clover. Results from autumn 1997 to summer 1998. In: COST action 814: Crop development for the cool and wet regions of Europe. Proceedings of the Progress Meeting of the Working Group, DvP Melle, Belgium, 20-23 August 1998, pp. 20-30.
· Orradóttir, B & Á. Helgadóttir, 1997. Collection of Icelandic legumes. Icelandic Agricultural Sciences 11:9-27. (In Icelandic)
· Helgadóttir, Á & B. Orradóttir, 1997. COST 814: Overwintering and spring growth of white clover. Results from autumn 1996 to spring 1997. In: Proceedings of the Progress Meeting of the Working Group on “Overwintering and Spring Growth of White Clover”, UCD and Teagasc, Ireland, 27-31 August 1997, pp. 14-23.
· Helgadóttir, Á & B. Orradóttir, 1996. COST 814: Overwintering and spring growth of white clover. Results from autumn 1995 to spring 1996. In: Proceedings of the Progress Meeting of the Working Group on “Overwintering and Spring Growth of White Clover”, Hvanneyri and Reykjavík, Iceland, 30 June to 4 July 1996, pp. 19-29.
Presentations - Posters
· Orradóttir, B., S. Archer, O. Arnalds and L.P. Wilding, 2004. Surface stability in Icelandic Andisolic rangelands: Influence of vegetation. In: Rangelands in Transition, the 57th Annual Meeting of the Society for Range Management, Salt Lake City, Utah, January 24-30, 2004.
· Orradóttir, B., S. Archer, O. Arnalds & L.P. Wilding, 2002. Erosion, infiltration and frost formation in Andisols: Does vegetation matter? Graduate Student Poster Competition at the 2002 Agriculture Program Conference, January 8-10, College Station, Texas.
· Orradóttir, B., S. Archer, O. Arnalds & L.P. Wilding, 2001. Infiltration rates and frost formation in Icelandic Andisols: Does vegetation matter? Dynamics and Challenges of Cryosols. Third International Conference on Cryopedology, Copenhagen, Denmark.
· Helgadóttir, Á., B. Orradóttir & J. Gudmundsson, 1999. Evaluation of perennial legumes for use in land reclamation. Presented at the “Biological Research in Iceland” Conference, Reykjavik, University of Iceland. (In Icelandic)
Presentations - Oral
· Orradóttir, B. and J. Thorsson, 2003. Disturbances and erosion processes in high latitude systems: The Icelandic story. Presented at a Texas A&M Range Club Meeting on March 4, 2003.
· Orradóttir, B., S. Archer, O. Arnalds and L.P. Wilding, 2003. The influence of vegetation on soil frost and infiltration rates in Icelandic rangelands. In: Rangelands: Diversity Through Time, the 56th Annual Meeting of the Society for Range Management, Casper, Wyoming, February 2-6, 2003.
· Orradóttir, B., 2002. The influence of vegetation on frost dynamics, infiltration rate and surface stability in Icelandic Andisolic rangelands. MS Thesis, Department of Rangeland Ecology and Management, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, 174 pp.
· Orradóttir, B., 1993. Sex ratio in Salix lanata L. Research project during B.S. studies in Biology, at University of Iceland, 18 pp.
© 2004 Berglind Orradottir. All rights reserved.